Wednesday, April 6, 2011

First gun post, a Marlin 1894c

For my first gun post, I wanted to show off one of my favorite rifles, a Marlin 1894c chambered for .357/.38.

Why an old school design like a lever gun?  In some places, semi automatic modern rifle designs such as the AR-15 and AK-47 variants are verboten by the local "that gun looks too scary" ninnies.  Thankfully, I'm in Texas where that's not a problem, and I'm sure I'll post later about my love for all things Kalashnikov. For those stuck in non free states like Kalifornia, however, a lever gun is a non threatening looking design, that has a decent capacity (this model can carry 9 in the tube), a proven history and isn't banned by nannystaters.  

This one was purchased for 2 reasons.  The first reason was I already owned a .357 revolver at the time, and I like the idea of having more than one gun that uses the same caliber.  The second and more important reason was an attempt to find a gun my wonderful wife would feel comfortable using if she had to defend herself and I was away.  She's a diminutive 5' tall, doesn't like the recoil of my pistols, and thinks my AK is too heavy.  If that's not reason enough to buy a new gun, I don't know what is! 

Because the Marlin is light and points naturally, it's something she actually feels comfortable handling.  In addition, loaded with .38s, the recoil is minimal.   As an average rule of thumb, a pistol caliber like the .38 will see about a 300 fps increase in velocity when fired out of a 16 inch rifle over a handgun length of 4 to 6 inches.  So even with recoil friendly .38s, this carbine should be capable of handling any situation she might need it for.

One more good reason to own a lever gun (as if we need MORE reasons) is the fact that they're beautiful rifles and an important part of American gun history.  From the Spencer rifles of the 1860s to my Marlin produced in the 21st century, lever guns have been owned and used for personal protection, war, and pure enjoyment for 150 years here in Texas.  That's a good enough reason for me.




Until next time, Shoot safe, grill weekly, and go have fun in the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment