Monday, April 25, 2011

Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes!!!

It's been a few days since I've posted.  In that time, our garden has EXPLODED.  It absolutely loves this hot, humid weather we've had here in central Texas this last week.  As of last count, I have over 70 green tomatoes, 2 bell peppers, and at least 6 jalapeno peppers growing. 

I've decided growing your own vegetables is like Christmas for kids.  Every day, I go out and look at my "presents" and hope someday soon I can begin unwrapping them!  After smelling my green tomatoes, I got so depressed by store tomatoes that I didn't buy any during my weekly grocery shopping last week.  I later regretted this decision, because a sandwich is next to WORTHLESS without tomatoes on it, even crummy store bought ones. 

There will be some new cooking posts this week as well.  On the menu is ribs, chicken stuffed with shrimp, and shrimp kabobs.  (can ya tell I like buying one ingredient and making multiple meals?)

Until next time, here's some pictures of the developments in the garden.  The white powder is Sevin Dust.  Something's been tearing my poor peppers to pieces, so I put a little on the whole garden since we're a ways away from harvest.  The stuff works!  My leaves are looking a little more intact and less nibbled on. 


Only one of our squash plants is acting like its going to make it.  Here it is next to its fallen comrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment