Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pizza on the grill

This was dinner tonight:

Pizza on the grill. Before we get into ingredients, a piece of friendly advice. Make the pizza dough at least an hour before you want to grill.  I made the mistake of not knowing what I was doing regarding homemade dough and we ate at 8pm instead of our usual 7ish.  Keep your spouse and kids less grumpy, and prepare the dough beforehand!  Dough can even be made the day before and refrigerated. 


This is for 8 individual sized pizzas

  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
  • 1 envelope Fleischmann's® Pizza Crust Yeast
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic
  • 1 1/3 cups very warm water
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • Additional flour for rolling
  • Additional oil for grilling
  • Pizza sauce
  • Other toppings as desired
  • Shredded mozzarella cheese
I recommend making the dough using this handy youtube video if you are like me and have never "rolled your own" as it were.This is how mine turned out before putting it on the grill:


The dough is the hardest and longest part of this ordeal.  After you have it rolled out and flatted ( I really recommend individual size pizzas.  They're just easier to get on and off the grill.  If you're a hungry type like me, just make 2 small ones.  You'll thank me when your pizza doesn't fold like a cheap card table and dump all your toppings through the grate) heat the grill on medium high.  Put the crust on the grill until the bottoms are lightly browned and firm.  At this point, take them off, flip them over, and put your choice of toppings on the grilled portion.  Then, carefully return the pizza to the grill until it's cooked though. 

I made a Mexican pizza by browning up some turkey, adding taco seasoning, then adding the taco meat to jalapenos (unfortunately too early in the year for them to be from my garden), mozzarella cheese and a "fiesta blend" cheese.  My wife topped hers with the yummy classic of pineapple and mozzarella.

Maybe next time I make this I'll get bold and try to make a "stuffed crust" pizza.  Until then, here's a closeup of my Mexican pizza.

Until next time, shoot safe, grill weekly and go have fun in the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment